Syed Iftikhar Shah, M.D.
Specialty: Transplant Nephrologist
Primary Location: Central-Rancho
Languages spoken: English, Pashto, Urdu
- Transplant Nephrology Fellowship at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn New York
Nephrology Fellowship at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York
- Assistant Prof Research/Internal Medicine at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York
- Research Fellowship, Empire Clinical Research Investigator Program (ECRIP), Optical Tomography Group, Department of Pathology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn New York
- Resident, Internal Medicine at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn New York
- MBBS Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad, NWFP, University of Peshawar Pakistan
Dr. Syed Shah’s journey from a remote village in the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) of Pakistan to Las Vegas, Nevada is nothing short of incredible. His success is a testament to his incredible work ethic, his family’s commitment to educate their son and the power of perseverance.
After receiving a rare boarding school education in Pakistan, the young Syed Shah was determined to pursue a career in medicine. He earned a medical degree at the University of Peshawar and practiced for 10 years before deciding that to truly excel he would need additional training where facilities and expertise were not limited.
Dr. Shah came to the United States and SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York to further his medical training. During his residency, he was exposed to a large number of patients with advanced kidney disease who needed both immediate care, in the form of dialysis, as well as long-term solutions to improve their quality of life. He decided then to become part of that solution and chose the specialty of transplant nephrology.
Dr. Shah specializes in transplant nephrology, helping patients prepare for and recover from kidney transplantation. In his practice, he strives to know his patients both medically and personally. He believes that familiarity results in better, more personalized care.
Dr. Shah is Board Certified in Nephrology and Internal Medicine and fellowship trained in Nephrology and Transplant Nephrology. He has done extensive research on the causes of rejection in kidney transplant patients.
Dr. Shah moved to Las Vegas in 2010 to join the KSOSN team. He is married with two young children, boy and girl twins.
- Fellow American College of Physicians (FACP)
- Fellow American Society of Nephrology (FASN)
- American Society of Transplantation
- American Medical Association
- Renal Physician Association
- National Kidney Foundation